Systematic design, afterwards students are able to:
- Analyze a design problem
- Recognize and apply the phase of the design process
- Generate concepts and motivate the choice of the final concept
- Develop a concept to a detailed design, taking into account the dimensioning, material choice and manufacturability
- Build a prototype based on self-made drawings and work preparation for in the workshop
- Test and evaluate the prototype
- Work in a team
Afterwards the students are able to:
- Hold an effective meeting including making minutes
- Present their own work in a professional manner
- Setup a basic project organization including a group contract, professional communication and planning
- Reflect on the quality of the teamwork and make adaptations to the project organization accordingly
- Reflect on their motivation to become a mechanical engineer
- Reflect on their academic writing skills in English
- Explain what types of assessments are used in the ME programme and how to prepare for the different assessment types
This is a part of module 1, ME 1 Design and Manufacturing of the Bachelor Mechanical Engineering. See here for the complete description of the module.|
In specific project lectures the basics of the methodical design process will be discussed. Think about a step-by-step plan (the design phases), analyzing, concept generating, concept selection, , detailing and prototyping.
In a workshop and individual assignment, the students reflect on their motivation for becoming a mechanical engineer and work on their academic writing skills in English. Further lectures and workshops are scheduled to explain and practice several skills necessary to work in a project team. The tutor guides the students through the meeting process and helps to optimize. The students have to present their work twice during the project and write a report on their design, but technical report writing is not the focus of this module.
This course can only be taken by ME students.