Systematic design, afterwards students are able to:
- Analyze a design problem
- Recognize and apply the phase of the design process
- Generate concepts and motivate the choice of the final concept
- Develop a concept to a detailed design, taking into account the dimensioning, material choice and manufacturability
- Build a prototype based on self-made drawings and work preparation for in the workshop
- Test and evaluate the prototype
- Work in a team
Afterwards the students are able to:
- Hold an effective meeting including making minutes
- Present their own work in a professional manner
- Setup a basic project organization including a group contract, professional communication and planning
- Reflect on the quality of the teamwork and make adaptations to the project organization accordingly
- Reflect on their motivation to become a mechanical engineer
- Reflect on their academic writing skills in English
- Explain what types of assessments are used in the ME programme and how to prepare for the different assessment types
This is a part of module 1, ME 1 Design and Manufacturing of the Bachelor Mechanical Engineering. See here for the complete description of the module.
In specific project lectures the basics of the methodical design process will be discussed. Think about a step-by-step plan (the design phases), analyzing, concept generating, concept selection, , detailing and prototyping.
In a workshop and individual assignment, the students reflect on their motivation for becoming a mechanical engineer and work on their academic writing skills in English. Further lectures and workshops are scheduled to explain and practice several skills necessary to work in a project team. The tutor guides the students through the meeting process and helps to optimize. The students have to present their work twice during the project and write a report on their design, but technical report writing is not the focus of this module.
This course can only be taken by ME students.