This first module of the programme has an important introductory function. At the end of the first module, the student has a clear picture of the content of the Technical Medicine programme, the academic character of it and what it requires from the students regarding study attitude. The student has been introduced to the three pillars of the programme: technology, medicine and professional attitude. In the project the student has worked on a patient case, has discovered what a technical medicine problem amounts to and learned what kind of approach is required to come to an optimal solution for the patient.|
At the end of the module the student is able to: Explain the anatomy and physiology of the breast, pelvis and abdomen.
- Explain the development and the eventual location and interconnections of the organs in breast, pelvis and abdomen.
- Explain the physical foundation of commonly used imaging techniques (microscopy, echography, radiographic imaging and MRI)
- Is able to argue which technique should be usedin the clinic, based on the strong and weak points of each technique.
Cell Biology and Biochemistry:
- Explain the normal molecular-biological and biochemical processes (including understanding of genetics) that can be disturbed in case of illness
Keywords biochemistry: cell organelle, cytosol, chemical interaction, condensation, hydrolysis, amino acid, protein, carbohydrate, lipid, nucleotide, nucleic acid, catalyst, activation energy, enzyme kinetics, enzyme regulation, allosteric effect, fosfolipid double layer, transport protein, ion channel, active and passive transport, membrane potential, electrochemical gradient, de- and repolarisation, synaps, neurotransmitter, free energy, chemical equilibrium, energy carrier.
- Explain and apply basic principles of limits, differentiation and integration of functions of one variable.
- Compute the solution of differential equations and be able to relate this to mathematical models of simple processes in the human body.
- Is able to apply and combine the knowledge obtained from anatomy, biochemistry, cell biology and imaging techniques and, possibly, mathematics and use this obtain a patient-specific solution for a technical-medicine problem.
This first module of the programme has an important introductory function. At the end of the first module, the student has a clear picture of the content of the Technical Medicine programme, the academic character of it and what it requires from the students regarding study attitude. The student has been introduced to the three pillars of the programme: technology, medicine and professional attitude. In the project the student has worked on a patient case, has discovered what a technical medicine problem amounts to and learned what kind of approach is required to come to an optimal solution for the patient.In this module a (part of) the medical and technological foundation is provided which the student needs to understand the healthy processes within the human body and to learn how these processes can be visualized and modelled. Besides anatomy, cell biology and bio chemistry also imagining techniques an mathematics will be addressed.
|Bachelor Technical Medicine||Required materials|
|Essential Cell Biology, Alberts B. et al. New York: Garland Publishing Inc., 5th edition ISBN ISBN 978-0-393-68039-3.|
|Thomas' Calculus, Early Transcendentals, Thomas, G.B., Weir, M.D., Hass, J., 12th edition, ISBN: UTversie: 9781784498139|
|Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Moore K.L. et al, Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 8th edition, ISBN: 9781496354044|
|Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, Agur A.M.R., Lee M.J., Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 13th editition 2012, ISBN: 9781451182545|
|Clinical Medicine, Kumar & Clark, 8th edition (2012)
|Geïllustreerd anatomisch zakwoordenboek van de internationale nomenclatuur. Feneis H.5th ed. ISBN 978-9031348138 (oudere versie mag ook)|
|"Medische Fysica, Van Oosterom, A., Oostendorp T.F. Elsevier Gezondheidszorg, Maarssen jul 2018, th edition,
|Larsens Human Embryology, Gary C. Schoenwolf, Steven B. Bleyl, 5th edition (2015), Elsevier Health Sciences ISBN: 978-1-4557-0684-6|
|Medical Physiology, Boulpaep E., Boron W., 3rd edition, Saunders/Elsevier 2016. ISBN 9781455743773, Ook digitaal verkrijgbaar (via UB catalogus)|
|Essentials of Pathology, Rubin R. et al., 7th edition, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins 2015., ISBN: 9781451187489 / 1451187483|
|Fysische Diagnostiek, T.O.H. de Jongh, 1e editie, Bohn Stafleu te Loghum 2010. Springer Media B.V. ISBN: 13 9789031352265|Recommended materials-Instructional modesTests
|Pract. Bodypaint and Phys. Examination|
|Practicals Cell Biology|
|Test Cell Biology|