At the end of the course, the student is able to:
- Analyse the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental situation in a country by making a PESTLE analysis;
- Compare the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental situation of different countries;
- Analyse the status, recent developments and vision regarding innovation for different Civil Engineering sectors in a country;
- Prepare for site visits that is linked to a specific Civil Engineering expertise;
- Set-up a research proposal for a research project into a specific Civil Engineering expertise;
- Gather relevant data for a research project during the Study Tour, by site visits and additional literature research;
- Fill knowledge gaps by comparing preliminary findings with gathered data and draw conclusions for the research project.
In this course, the student will learn about (the Civil Engineering field at) the two destinations of the Study Tour. Each student performs a Macro, Meso and Micro Study. In the Macro Study, the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental situation of the destinations of the Study Tour will be analysed and compared to these aspects in the Netherlands. The Meso Study will provide insight into the status, recent developments and visions regarding innovation of different Civil Engineering sectors. In the Micro Study, students will set up more in-depth research into a topic in the Civil Engineering field currently relevant at the destinations of the Study Tour. In addition, the student will write a visit report about one of the excursions of the Study Tour.|
All components of the assessment should be 5.0 or higher to get a sufficient result. The result is sufficient if the weighted average is at least 5.5. Assessment will be done by the teachers of the course.
- Report and presentation Macro Study [20%]
- Report and presentation Meso Study [20%]
- Pre-study tour report Micro Study [30%]
- Final report Micro Study [20%]
- Final presentation Micro Study [10%]
- Visit report [pass/fail]
The Macro and Meso Study will be executed in groups of 4 to 5 students. The Micro Study will be executed in groups of 4 students. The visit reports will be written individually or in pairs.