Taking part in this course will enable students to apply a Human Factors Approach to Healthcare Settings. They will:
Connection to the work field
- get an introduction to the basics of human factors engineering in healthcare.
- get an introduction to usability engineering and learn to perform usability testing on medical devices.
- get an introduction in and experience factors affecting human performance in minimally invasive surgery.
- get an introduction to cognitive task analysis and apply this to healthcare situations .
- get an introduction to the systems engineering initiative for patient safety.
- familiarize themselves with methods for understanding and improving the workflow and the interaction among people and between people and technology in the context of healthcare.
- learn to evaluate the relevance of anthropometry and physiology, and design while taking into account stress, fatigue, and workload management.
- learn to create persona’s and prototyping in the medical context for a specific medical device.
They will be introduced to and learn to apply several different human factors approaches relevant for health care situations.
The course Human Factors in Healthcare will introduce students to the basics of human factors engineering in healthcare. We will focus on usability engineering and methods to test medical devices. Students will also be introduced to minimally invasive surgery and get experience in factors affecting performance in such tasks. They will get familiar with cognitive task analysis methods and its relevance for healthcare conditions. Furthermore, they will learn about a systems perspective relevant for patient safety and will learn methods to understand and improve the workflow in healthcare settings. They will also learn about the relevance of anthropometric and physiological methods, and approaches to deal with stress, fatigue and overload. Finally, students will learn to apply persona’s and prototyping in the medical context for a specific medical device. At the end of each week an assignments has to be completed consisting of several questions that deal with the relevant materials from that week. At the end of the course, there will be the possibility to take part in tests that may compensate for failed assignments.