- Explaining interface aspects such as interface energy, adsorption and surface potential.
- Translating interface aspects to properties and phenomena such as contact angle, infiltration, colloidal stability.
- Relating the correct equations to problems and applying them adequately.
- Explaining and substantiating colloid chemical phenomena.
- Understanding interface curvature, adsorption equilibrium and surface potential distribution.
- Apply the theoretical knowledge from colloidal chemistry to formulate, analyze and address an open research question
- Translate a research question into an experimental plan
A first glance of how molecules influence the interfaces between fluids and solids is given from a more physical-chemical perspective and draws a link between the physical properties of interfaces and colloidal systems, the underlying physical laws and how molecules can modify those interfaces. A link with the necessary mathematics for describing the physical properties will be drawn in a case, using Matlab.