After passing this course, students will able to;
- Understand and explain the principal additive manufacturing processes, the fundamental mechanism of operation, and applications
- Identify the entire product life cycle from design conception to the final product in the additive manufacturing process.
- Understand, explain and use design strategies and rules for metal and polymer additive manufacturing processes
- Identify the design constraints in additive manufacturing and post-processing consideration
- Apply qualitative and quantitative simulation tools in the design of additive manufactured parts.
- Explore current and future perspective on digital design tools for additive manufacturing
The application of additive manufacturing (AM), also known as 3D printing, has changed the entire product lifecycle from design to fabrication, and delivery process. This is because AM provides great freedom in the design of complex shape products with a wide range of materials that cannot be easily manufactured by conventional fabrication methods. Modern engineers need a basic understanding, tools and strategies that support product design for additive manufacturing processes. This course provides the necessary knowledge and skills for the design of AM products using advanced digital design tools. Students will study the technical fundamentals, industrial applications, design strategies, and limitations of AM technologies. The basic knowledge will be explained using the book and the classes. Therefore, students will acquire the knowledge and confidence to create a (self-chosen) design for AM products which will result in a simulation project. The final grade will be based on a written exam, focused on the level of knowledge from the classes and the books, and the result of the project.