- Students know the principal dimensions that are relevant in the design of Sports Interaction Technology
- Students understand how Sports (Interaction) Technology is embedded in the broader context of sports practice and sports science
- Students can apply the main concepts to typify existing systems and to provide suggestions for system-improvements.
- Students can analyse the make-up of Sports Interaction Technology in terms of form and function.
- Students can critically evaluate novel sports technology from academic literature
- Students can create novel interactive systems for sports
The use of sports technology is arguably as old as sports itself. In ancient Greece for example, the Hysplex, a primitive starting mechanism, was used to prevent false starts in horse and footraces. Sports Interaction Technology however is relatively new. Fueled by the potential of advanced computing, wearables and modern networking technology, interaction technology is taking the world of sports by storm. Just what is interaction technology? And how does it help to enhance learning, increase engagement and perfect performance?
From simple fitness trackers to full-blown sports performance analysis systems; this course will teach you all about sports interaction technology. Starting with the fundamentals, you will learn to appreciate and improve existing training systems. Ultimately you will design your very own interactive sports system. Along the way you will be guided by lectures and tutorials that will help you to master the many complexities of this colorful and vibrant area of sports and research.
Multiple-choice exam (40%)