1. create a description of mixed physical (electrical, thermal, mechanic and physical transport) systems in terms of a set of (ordinary) differential equations, using principles like conservations laws and continuity relations|
2. describe a distributed system as a set of linked lumped systems
3. can analyze system behavior through simulation tools and discuss the validity of the model representing the system
4. interpret system properties via the response of probe signals (pulse, step and trend)
5. explain what is stability and control, design a feedback system
In this course, you will learn more about modelling of simple thermal systems. In addition, you will be introduced to modeling physical systems in general, and how to linearize non-linear systems. |
After this introduction the three main topics of the modelling part are dealt with:
a) Mixed systems combining components from different physical domains,
b) Stability and Control of systems and
c) Distributed systems.
These topics are accompanied with 4 practicals;
1) Characterization of an electro-motor (write measurement report),
2) The design of a feedback for a motor-generator pair (same),
3) The non-uniform heating of a rod (full report)
4) The heat transfer in a flow experiment (oral exam).