After this course the student:|
1. understands the propagation of electromagnetic fields: propagation constant, wavelength, refractive index, electromagnetic field as a superposition of monochromatic waves of different frequencies (temporal FT), electromagnetic field as superposition of waves with different spatial frequencies (spatial FT).
2. knows the Maxwell equations and their relation with Schrödinger equations: solution to the Maxwell equations, boundary conditions, wave equation.
3. has a general notion of the dispersion relation (ω-k), its meaning, and relation to the E-k diagrams of electrons in solids (neff vs meff). Application to optical waveguides.
4. has a general notion of the principles of photo detection, light emission and lasing in semiconductors
5. understands the working principle of a laser
6. understands the rate equations for photons and carriers in a semiconductor laser, threshold current, slope efficiency, photon lifetime.
7. knows the concepts direct modulation of a semiconductor laser, frequency chirp, maximum modulation speed.
8. knows the modulation schemes, including on-chip optical modulators.
In this course, you will learn the basis of lasers, optical waveguides and photodetectors.