The learning goals of this project are:
- Design of power electronic circuits for conversion of solar electric DC power to AC power to fed into the grid
- Realisation and testing of electric circuits
- Working in a team, division of tasks
- Writing scientific reports based on a fixed structure
- Searching for relevant iformation/literature and proper referencing
- Application of knowledge of circuit analysis to circuit design
The project assignment is to develop a solar power inverter which converts the DC power to AC power with maximum efficiency. For this aim, a 12V 20Wp solar panel is available and its power has to be fed into a 12V AC power grid (for safety). Students have to implement the 3 main functions of the inverter: MPPT, inversion to AC and adaptation to the grid. The project will be carried out in groups of 6 students.|
The project consists of 3 parts:
In the pre-project, basic and practical knowledge of using MOS FETs as switches, for creating a voltage boost circuit and an H-bridge is learnt. In the Project Organisation and Report course, the main project is prepared by searching for relevant information for the project and by writing the scientific report section by section according to a predefined structure. Also making a design using a box diagram and planning and task division are addressed and setting up experiments to investigate the proper functioning of a design.
- Project Organisation and Report
- Project Power Electronics – main part
The exam is a project exam, consisting of a project report, a short presentation and demonstration of the operation of the designed circuit. In addition, intermediate feedback is given on assignments for the pre-project and project organisation and report.