- The students can run Python programs on IDLE and the PyCharm IDE
- The student can write Python statements to do calculations; use variables; execute maths functions, create random numbers, and manipulate dates and times; read data and format output; and use and manipulate strings, lists, tuples and dictionaries.
- Design solutions for simple programs using decisions and loops.
- Code and run the designed solutions in Python.
- The students can write a program to do a linear search.
Operating Systems and Computer Networks
- The student can identify and describe the most important tasks of an operating system.
- The student has insight into the the operation and structure of computer networks and can use terms like packet switching, protocol and layering.
- The student has knowledge of the global structure of the internet and internet applications and can use terms like TCP/IP, IP-address, port number, HTML.
Java Programming and Algorithms
- The students can run Java programs in command line and the Eclipse IDE
- The student can write Java statements to do calculations; use variables; execute maths functions, create random numbers, and manipulate dates and times; read data and format output; and use and manipulate strings, arrays and arraylists.
- The student can explain and apply the basic principles of object-orientation to define and use Java classes.
- The student understands the basic principles of recursion and the connection to induction.
- The student understands the operation and differences between linear and binary search algorithms, as well as between insertion sort, bubble sort, merge sort and quick sort.
- The student can code the abovementioned search and sort algorithms in Java.
The Introduction to Computer Science course consists of two sections.|
The one section focuses on Programming. For a computer to execute a task it needs to have a set of instructions called a program. As human languages are too ambiguous, special computer languages have been developed. The two languages taught in this section are Python and Java.
The second section focuses on Computer Networks and Operating Systems. To execute the programs the computer needs a piece of software that takes care of the management tasks in the background. This is the operating system and the focus will be on Linux. To communicate between computers a network is needed. The Internet is discussed which connects computers to enable world-wide communication.