In this module students will learn the principles, concepts and techniques required to create and evaluate smart spaces. After the module, students are able to:
- understand and explain and characterize principles of smart spaces and underlying methods and technologies
- understand and explain basics principles of smart objects and (distributed) sensing
- understand and explain basic principles of mobile and indoor localization
- understand and explain basics principles of context awareness
- understand and explain basic principles of intelligent interaction
- apply the principles to create new smart objects and (distributed) sensing
- apply the principles to design an accurate indoor localization system
- apply the principles to design context inference algorithms
- apply the principles to design smart interaction methods based on context
- design and develop creative, useful, and efficient smart space solutions and services
- structurally test, evaluate, and validate complex interactive smart spaces
- describe design decisions, methodology, and results
- project planning and management
- perform fair and critical assessment and peer reviewing
Smart spaces refer to environments such as apartments, offices, museums, hospitals, schools, malls, university campuses, and outdoor areas that are enabled for co-operation of smart objects and systems, and for ubiquitous interaction with frequent and sporadic visitors .|
Prime business scenarios include smart retail environments and public areas providing better service to customers and citizens, and home and office environments making living and working more comfortable and efficient.
The basic principles, concepts, and techniques to be learnt are grouped into four themes, i.e., (i) smart objects and (distributed) sensing, (ii) distributed intelligence and context awareness, (iii) mobile and indoor localization, and (iv) smart interaction. Through lectures and study materials (MOOCs and articles), students will acquire deep understanding and knowledge of the required techniques and principles to create smart spaces. This knowledge will be put into practice during challenges, which in turn will prepare them for the final goal of the module, which is the realization of a smart space during the project weeks.
By focusing on the campus as a living lab, students are requested to generate ideas for creation of a smart space on the campus. The generated ideas will be evaluated in a panel to select the “best idea”.
 Home // EIT Digital