After completion of this course the student is able to
- understand concepts related to the materials science of solid matter, especially related to thin film growth, structuring and characterization. The concepts will be taught by lectures, exercises and hands-on cleanroom work,
- apply these concepts in the form of a consultancy study on a materials science topic and present this in a report,
- apply these concepts in the form of a presentation on a different topic,
- provide peer feedback on the use of materials science concepts in consultancy studies.
The course consists of three parts. The first part covers the basic properties of materials. These are treated on the basis of thermodynamics, growth processes, structure (amorphous, polycrystalline, single crystal) of different materials. Part two deals with the different deposition methods for making thin layers (depositing, sputtering, laser ablation, MBE) and part three the analysis of these layers of scanning probe microscopy, SEM, TEM, X-ray diffraction. The material of the lectures is supplemented with a cleanroom practicum, laboratory tours, guest lectures and a consultancy assignment.
the result of the exam will be determined by the following assessment plan;
- consultancy report (25 %)
- consultancy presentation and peer feedback (25%)
- written exam (50%)