By the end of the course, the student can:
- Read, understand, modify, and debug programs (i.e. recall, interpret and identify Python and C++ syntax)
- Compose, compile, and execute small programs in Python and C++
- Develop algorithms for solving engineering problems in Python and C++.
- Solve ordinary differential equations on a computer and apply this skill to an engineering problem.
- Build a simple circuit using an Arduino; program Arduino functions to respond to external input, and interface the Arduino with external software
Computations are omnipresent in complex engineering problems in solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, civil and process engineering. Many problems are resolved with the aid of computers and dedicated programs today. Therefore, it is really important for an engineer to be familiar with computers and programming languages. In this course, you will learn how to translate problems into algorithms and how to implement the algorithm into a computer language. We will focus on implementation in two widely used programming languages: Python and C++. You will learn how to write, compile, and execute small programs in each language. We teach you how to write structured, reusable code (object-oriented programming in C++) and how to visualize your solutions in Python. Further, we teach you how to better understand, analyze, optimize, and debug code. The course consists of lectures as well as lots of practical exercises. In addition, the course teaches you how to solve ODE’s on a computer, and how to communicate with an electronics device such as an Arduino.