At the end of the module a student:
- can describe the basic principles of production management such as the relationship between company strategy, operations strategy and design of the production system;
- can analyze and solve (simple) problems in a production process;
- can describe and apply the main principles of planning and controlling the production process and understands the role of quantitative modeling as support tool.
Central to this study unit is Slack et al.’s model of operations management. This model combines the input-transformation-output model with the categorization of operations management’s activity areas. This model provides a clear overview of all the relevant topics in operations management. This model is applicable to production as well as service companies. The following topics are discussed in some detail:
- Operations performance;
- Operations strategy;
- Design of operations management;
- Planning & control of operations management;
- Improvement of operations management.