At the end of the study unit the student will be able to ….
- Reproduce and apply psychological theories on the responses to physical safety, in particular technologies and industrial risks
- Reproduce and apply psychological theory on the potential impact of intervention strategies, communication and persuasive technology on the responses to physical safety issues
- Reproduce and apply psychological theory on the effect of the context on the responses to safety issues, in particular the physical environment and mass media coverage
- Analyse and diagnose situations of dyadic and interpersonal conflict and negotiations
- Reproduce the main elements of conflict management strategies as applied in dyadic mediation and online interventions
- Use psychological theory to explain the suitability of technological tools for conflict management and negotiations
- Reproduce and apply the most important concepts and mechanisms related to intra- and intergroup processes
- Reproduce the theoretical foundations of interventions aimed at mitigating intra- and intergroup conflicts and threats
- Use psychological theory to explain the suitability of technological tools for mitigating intra- and intergroup conflicts and threats
This study unit is part of the module Psychology of Safety (202000348). During the lectures, elementary psychological theories on responses to physical and social safety issues, and on intervention strategies in the safety domain will be put forward. The lectures will build on the department’s research that is conducted in collaboration with national and international partners such as law enforcement authorities, the Legal Aid Council, the National Crisis Center, various Ministries, and the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority. The theory lectures will be supplemented by lectures of expert guests that illustrate the application of the theories in particular safety contexts. Examples are: interventions in legal conflicts; conflict management and bio fuel; internet, social media and (criminal) behaviour; risk psychology and persuasive technology. Two exam training sessions will be organized to familiarize the students with the type of questions on the exams.|
The study material of this “Theory” study unit consists mainly of a selection of scientific articles. The references to this required readings will be provided on Canvas.
This study unit is part of the module Psychology of Safety (202000348). A module is offered as one educational unity and students take it as such.