At the end of the course, students will be able to…:|
(between brackets the number of the corresponding intended learning qualification of the programme)
- integrate and apply one or more perspectives (behavioural, ethical, legal, and technological) on privacy in the production of a documentary film (1.1, 1.3, 1.5, 5.1, 6.3);
- analyse Internet users’ awareness and knowledge of information privacy risks inherent in a specific online exchange/interaction (2.2, 3.3, 5.2);
- apply the skills and knowledge they learned from the workshops on documentary production (4.5);
- acquire various film editing skills to substantially improve the first version of the documentary film (4.5);
- collaborate within a project team in designing and producing a documentary film (4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 6.3).
For this module, students will design and produce a video-based intervention, in the form of a documentary film, to either increase people’s awareness of the risks of online information disclosure (either voluntarily or involuntarily) or to inform them of ways to safeguard their information privacy online. For the intervention design process, students will focus on a very specific risky online transaction (e.g. internet banking, online social networking, downloading mobile apps) and clearly identify a privacy-related issue or problem to be addressed.|
Specifically, students are expected to (a) engage in an in-depth analysis of a specific issue that they will focus on for their documentary film, (b) identify the target audience for the documentary film (e.g. minors, professionals, senior citizens), (c) determine their level of awareness of information-privacy violations online and their knowledge of relevant privacy protection strategies, and (d) produce a documentary film using results of a small-scale study with the target audience coupled with relevant points on online privacy behaviour from the literature.
Given the final product for the module project, students will be provided with opportunities (in the form of workshops) to acquire skills in writing scripts for documentary films and in producing documentaries of professional quality.