At the end of the course, students will be able to… (between brackets the number of the corresponding intended learning qualification of the programme):
- argue what organizational identity is, what it consists of, and possibly affects (1.3, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.5);
- perform and analyse a reliable and large scale comparative international media analysis taking into account all the relevant stakeholders (2.3, 2.4, 4.4);
- design a public relations campaign taking into account relevant framing and reputation principles (1.3, 2.5, 2.6, 4.1, 4., 6.5);
- write and present a professional and persuasive consultancy report for a client (2.6, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2);
- operate constructively in a project team, evaluate the effectiveness of the project team and one’s own role(s) within the team (4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9).
Preparing students on the possible future role of consultant or public relations officer, in this course, students (in a group) will first set up their own communication agency while paying attention to identity management principles including mission, vision, strategy and core values. Then, their agency is competing to be hired by a tech company as their primary PR consultant. This tech company wants to know more about the general sentiment regarding the innovation it develops. By means of a large-scale big data media analysis students therefore investigate the sentiment among relevant stakeholders in the public discourse. This media analysis is then the input for a Public Relations plan (Challenge 3P1), which is based on the pros and cons of the innovation according to relevant stakeholders and informs the possible client about how to address the most relevant stakeholders. Both the unique identity proposition of the newly founded agency and the proposed PR plan (based on the media analysis) will serve as input for the tech company in making the decision as to which agency will be hired. Finally, at the end of the project, students will look back on the project and assess their performance as well as that of other group members (Challenge 3P2).