During the lectures, and practical sessions of this course and by development of several soft robotic examples, students will be able to;
- Find a vision to the integrated design and fabrication of soft robots (different with rigid robots)
- During the practical sessions, learn and practice several techniques and materials for realization and characterization of soft robotics components.
- Evaluate solutions and processes and select the best/optimum solution to a related problem.
- With in a group project design and fabricate a soft robotic system and analyze in-depth the process for realization of a complex soft robot
- Characterize the elements and entire system in sufficient and proper manner
- Report and present the achievement in scientific format
The course teach to design, fabricate and characterize soft robotic systems, as a new generation of robots with physically flexible-bodies and electronics.|
The intrinsic flexibility of soft robots make them potentially a great solution for adaptable and safe interaction with their user and environment. However this flexibility also compels the need for new generation of actuators, sensors and fabrication techniques and design tools. This course will discuss the state-of-the-art fabrication techniques and design of soft actuators, sensors and smart structures with their technical features, characteristics and limitations. Bioinspiration and embodied intelligence as short-cut solutions for arriving to an optimal and smart design will also be introduced.