After completion of the project the student can:
- analyze an existing installation for generation of heat/cold and power on thermodynamic aspects from the point of view of the first law and in the light of the second law of thermodynamics.
- explain the thermodynamic aspects of the analyzed installation by means of diagrams, graphs and tables.
- suggest improvements for the installation to make it more efficient or more sustainable.
- write simple programs in Matlab to analyze and redesign thermodynamic systems and create thermodynamic graphs.
- interpret contradictory / incomplete information and uncertainties / inaccuracies in the given data.
- present the results of the analysis to a technically-educated client.
A group of students work in a team on a project focused on the analysis of an energy system. The aim is to thoroughly analyze an existing plant for the production of work (electricity), heat and / or cold as well as any necessary by-products (for example CO2) on thermodynamic aspects. Next to an analysis from the point of view of the first law of thermodynamics also an analysis in the light of the second law of thermodynamics should be performed. Based upon the results suggestions for improvement of the installation to make it more efficient or more sustainable should be given. The results of the analysis and the suggestions for improvement should be summarized in the form of diagrams, graphs and tables with a clear explanation. The project concludes with a poster presentation, where the results of the analysis are presented to a technical audience. The knowledge required for the implementation of the project is provided through the preceding supporting course engineering thermodynamics and a workshop about second law analysis. This project is a preparation for the SET Master.|
Grading: Poster (groups effort) 50%, individual performance at the poster presentation 50%
Note: the project starts in week 4 of the quartile.