After passing the course, the student can:
- Apply a multi-disciplinary approach to product development problems
- Transfer knowledge to people with different backgrounds (disciplines)
- Re-formulate the problem specification by a client (formulate the ‘real’ assignment)
- Select and set priorities in a plethora of relevant design aspects
- Integrate and employ knowledge from different fields of expertise (like marketing, styling, CAD/CAM, intellectual property, packaging, production, research methodology, etc.)
- Align different phases and perspectives on the product development cycle in respect to the cycle as a whole
- Implicitly employ the knowledge and experience that is gained in previous modules
- Concurrently pay attention to subject-matters and organisational aspects (project planning and management)
- Present and market a product in an appropriate way
This is a part of Module 6, ID M6 Consumer Products of the Bachelor Industrial Design Engineering. See here for the complete description of this module|
The project in module Consumer Products challenges competing groups of co-operating students from different educational programmes to meet the multi-disciplinary project assignment by developing an adequate product while explaining and underpinning the product development cycle. The assignment is a realistic design brief, provided by an industrial partner. This company can also play a role in e.g. midterm reviews and project evaluation.
In the project, students 'Industrial Design Engineering', 'Industrial Engineering & Management' and 'Mechanical Engineering' conjointly participate in project groups; in principle, each project group exists of equal numbers of students of each discipline.
The project relies on the student groups to plan, manage and execute the development cycle, according to their explicitly stated priorities and focal areas. The project work is supported by a number of guest lectures, workshops and practicals.
External students who are interested in this elective: please contact email@example.com