After passing the course, the student can:
- Explore the steps needed to develop an concept into a mass product while aspects like materials, production processes & volume, functionality and costs are taken into account
- Efficienntly design, develop and build a functional prototype and use it for product evaluation
- Work in groups to define, plan, execute and document the development of the mass product and prototype.
- Understand and explain the relation between the development steps of the mass product and prototype and relevant technological knowledge
- Is able to give a technical presentation
This is a part of Module 3 of the Bachelor Industrial Design Engineering. See here for the compete description of this module.
The goal of Project Realisation of products is to work as a group in the development of a concept to a more detailed design and materialization of a product. The concept to be detailed is one of the concepts developed in module IO 1.2. In detailing the product not all aspects will be dealt with but special attention shall be focused on
- To properly transform a concept (from module 1.2) into a functional mass produced product. As mass production was not a demand in module 1.2 the concept must be adapted for mass production. Changes made should be supported by arguments.
- Integration of construction principles (power transformation, resistance to buckling etc) and elements (bearings, gears etc).
- Selection and integration of materials and production methods.
- Use of quality aspects and tools, cost calculation and work preparation analysis to support the choices made regarding product development steps.
- Use of sketching, product presentation and technical drawing techniques te represent the product properly and for the right goal
- Use of prototype building to validate the correctness of the concept and detailed product description.
The project will result in
- a detailed description of the mass product,
- a detailed description of the prototype of the mass product,
- an actual prototype
- a project report that describes
- the results,
- the route taken to come to these results and
- the analysis that lead to the decisions made
external students who are interested in this elective: please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org