After passing the course, the student can:
- distinguish and describe the various production processes for discrete production
- recognise and explain the (dis)similarities between the various production processes
- select feasible/applicable production processes for a product while being able to underpin that selection
- relate material characteristics to (the feasibility/applicability of) production processes
- interrelate product geometry, material and production process(es) in relation to a.o. production quantity, batch size, tolerances, accuracy, quality and cost
This is a part of Module 2 of the Bachelor Industrial Design Engineering. See here for the compete description of this semester.|
The course gives an introduction in the manufacturing of products by industrial production processes. It provides the theoretical knowledge base for these production processes as well as for the company context in which such processes are applied. With this, the course provides the background for all courses and projects that relate to the production of products. At the same time, the course is an introduction in the applicatibility of production processes in practical circumstances.
Production 1 focuses on the producibility of products; in this, material characteristics like material type and crystal structures play a significant role. While taking into account these material characteristics, a variety of production processes like casting, moulding, forming, machining, joining, plastics & composites processes are explored.
In the lectures the theory of the production processes is elaborated on; during the practicals the relation between the theoretical knowledge and practical situations in the workshop is established.
Production I is the first course in the cycle on manufacturing engineering; as a consequence it is considered as foreknowledge for other courses in this cycle. Many other courses implicitly assume knowledge on production processes and techniques; this course provides the knowledge.
external students who are interested in this elective: please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org