- organize, coordinate and evaluate a cooperation in a project with several students
- describe and go through the phases of a design process for a simple (consumer)product
- establish conditions for the design of a simple product based on a choice of a specific target group
- draw up a list of requirements and apply for a simple product
- diverge and converge in the development of concept ideas for a simple product
- make and implement a proper transition from concept design for a simple product to a working prototype
- present orally design and argumentation which led to the final result
This is a part of Module 1 of the Bachelor Industrial Design Engineering. See here for the compete description of this module.
The KICK START Project is the first project of the Industrial Design Engineering bachelors degree. In six weeks, students will get a taste of the design process by designing a simple product. This product will be designed, built, and tested. Functionality and shape will be points of focus in their product design. It is important that these aspects correspond well to the chosen target group. In this six weeks, they work in groups of eight, nine or ten students to go from a design to a working prototype. Each group will be assigned a tutor to guide the students in the process. The project has been divided into five phases based on a general design proces. Those phase are: creating a list of requirements, exploring and develop different concepts, defining the chosen concept, fabricate a prototype and evaluate the final result. After each phase, groups should make proper choices and will present their progress to the tutor and receive feedback. Each group will build its final design in the workshop. During the project finals students will conduct a user test, where they present their project on a market to a large audience, before the market students have an oral exam in which they explain and discuss their designs and decision making process. After all these sessions each group has an reflection meeting with the tutor.
external students who are interested in this elective: please contact: email@example.com