After successfully finishing this part of the course a student is able to:
- Identify a tribological system.
- Analyze a contact by applying the Hertzian equations.
- Understand basic friction, lubrication and wear mechanisms.
- Understand friction phenomena as stick-slip, sliding, etc. and is able to analyze a basic mechanism in this respect
- Determine the life span of a component using the wear law
- Adapt a construction in order to minimize friction and wear
This is a part of module 6, ME 6 Product Design of the Bachelor Mechanical Engineering.. See here for the compete description of the module.|
Tribology is about phenomena between surfaces in relative motion. This part of the module is an introductory course explaining the basics of contact, friction, wear and lubrication mechanisms. Also, apart from explaining the fundamentals causing these phenomena, attention will be paid to tribological phenomena that take place in common mechanisms
Non-ME students can take this course if they meet the entry requirements.