Project “Designing a Mechanical Structure”|
Within the project, students
- Design a mechanical structure, recognize and implement different phases within such a process: problem formulation; analyzing and establishing design requirements; introducing concept designs; choosing a concept; detailing the design of choice; assigning materials.
- Evaluate different concept designs, choose a concept and justify their choice.
- Apply their earlier knowledge on material science and production techniques from previous modules in the current design project.
- Apply the knowledge gained from “Mechanics of Materials” and “Modeling and Programming” courses on detail design of the chosen concept.
- Utilize stress and strain transformations (using e.g. Mohr’s circle) to calculate principal stresses and strains and apply it in the project.
- Write a (design-) report for the client.
- Being able to reflect on your own work as a mechanical engineering student and future professional.
This is a part of module 4, ME 4 Design and Mechanics of the Bachelor Mechanical Engineering.. See here for the compete description of the module.|
Project “Designing a Mechanical Structure”
The aim of the project is to design a functional structure which allows students to integrate their various mechanical design skills. The theoretical knowledge gained by the students during the current module and earlier courses such as Mechanics of materials, Material science, Statics and Machine elements are applied in the project. The project includes designing mechanical components, proper choice of materials and suitable production methods. The assignment is done within groups of 8 students. The subject of the project varies each year, however in principal the project characteristics (structure composed of a number of moving parts) remain the same. The structure is usually made of slender elements (pipes and profiles) with a functional purpose. The project is limited to the conceptual phase and mainly focuses on realizing feasibility and the development of the concept product.
In this final module of the year, various aspects of academic skills are addressed; communication in writing, oral presentation and being able to reflect on your own work.
The results of the project have to be presented in a written (design-) report for the client and an oral presentation for a committee.
In an individual assignment the student has to reflect on his own work in the last year and look forward to the future as a student (and professional) in mechanical engineering
This course can only be taken by ME students.