Systematic design, afterwards students are able to:
- Analyze a design problem
- Recognize and apply the phase from the design process
- Generating concepts and motivate the choice of the final concept
- Develop a concept to a detailed design, taking into account the dimensions, material choice and manufacturability
- Build a prototype based on self-made drawings and work preparation for in the workshop and test the prototype
- Work in a team
Afterwards the students are able to:
- Perform a good meeting including making minutes
- Present their own work in a professional manner
- Setup a basic project organization including a group contract and global planning
- Reflect on the quality of the teamwork and make adaptations to the project organization accordingly
- Reflect on their motivation to become a mechanical engineer
- Reflect on their academic writing skills in English
- Explain what types of assessments are used in the ME programme and how to prepare for the different assessment types
This is a part of module 1, ME 1 Design and Manufacturing of the Bachelor Mechanical Engineering. See here for the compete description of the module.|
In a special project lecture the basics of the design process will be discussed. Think about a step-by-step plan (the design phases), concept generating, concept selection, morphological diagram etc.
Some lectures are scheduled to explain several skills necessary to work in a project team. The tutor guides the students through the meeting process and helps to optimize. During the project the students have to present their work twice, here also the tutor will be the coach for improving presenting skills. The focus will not be on how to write a report, that’s subject of next modules. However some written hints will be given.
This course can only be taken by ME students.