- Knowledge of the nature of stresses induced in the soil and by the soil
- Knowledge of the fluid mechanics in a soil
- Model soil as an engineering material (simple cases)
- Analyze settlements of foundations/dams
- Analyze stability of slopes with a focus on protective infrastructure
This is a part of Module 5, Safety and Risk in Deltas of the Bachelor Civil Engineering. See here for the complete description of this module.|
The main aim of the course is to contribute to subject-specific knowledge within the Civil Engineering programme. It is an introductory course.
Topics of the course include the decription of water flow in soils, the soil response to axial and shear loads, the use of these knowledge to design foundations and assess the stability of earth embankments.
The course consists of lectures, tutorials and a self-study. The study-load of the course is 2 ECTS.
The course is finalized with a written exam. Tutorials are scheduled as follow-up of the lectures and will focus on the application of the lecture material by solving exercises.
External students who are interested in this elective: please contact email@example.com