|Module consists of the study units
Module 5, Safety and Risk in Deltas, consists of several module parts, every part has its own learning objectives. The Module overview is given below:
|Name module element
|2.Fluid Mechanics 2
|5. Project Flood Risk
|6. Introduction to programming in engineering using Python 2
At the end of the module the student ….
- is knowledgeable on the risk-based approach of flood safety and related Dutch policy and can operationalize it in quantitative assessment,
- has insight in extreme events, in hydrological and hydraulic processes in water systems, and is able to mathematically describe them,
- is knowledgeable on drought problems and able to describe this quantitatively,
- has insight in soil mechanics and stability of protective infrastructure, and is able to represent this in mathematical models,
- is competent in designing and implementing analytical and numerical mathematical simulation models on various themes related to flood safety, and in generating quantitative statements, including statements on accuracy,
- is competent in working with spatial descriptions in mathematical physics in integral and differential equations
The module Safety and risk in deltas shows how flood safety is defined at conceptual, technical and policy levels. In the module, students learn how probabilities and impacts of extreme events combine into risks, and how these concepts are quantified. In doing so, students acquire knowledge on relevant technical characteristics and descriptions of protective infrastructure and failure mechanisms. Additionally, the students gain knowledge on flood safety strategies in policy and on the history and organisation of Dutch water management.