Self-tuition topics is a course unit (for an individual student or for a small group of students) which serves to acquire knowledge of the following kind:
- it cannot be acquired by taking a regular subject in the course, but it has not been acquired before,
- it is not strictly a prerequisite to take the degree, but it is essential for the individual programme that the student, the admission board and the programme mentor wish to agree upon.
The programme mentor has to agree with self-tuition topics as a unit in the individual programme. Before work on the topics starts, the following matters should be settled:
- there is a description of the topics, the description is clear about the assessment of the student's efforts,
- there is an examiner for the assessment,
- there is approval of the individual programme supervisor to have self-tuition topics as a unit in the student's individual programme.