After completing this course successfully, you will be able to:
- Understand how context and people’s goals, needs and capabilities influence the usability and appeal of a design proposal and the satisfaction people derive from it;
- Be introduced to a human centred design process characterized by iterative steps between defining the problem statement, developing ideas and (intermediate) human-centred evaluations;
- Understand general human capabilities for operating products (and / or systems) and applying this understanding through Human Factors guidelines for designing (interactive) products;
- Select and apply appropriate human centred product evaluation and visual communication methods
- Understand and reason with the impact of design decisions
You will demonstrate that you have achieved these learning outcomes through:
- Following through an entire human centred design process (i.e., user research, ideation, conceptualization, prototyping, and communicating) critically, creatively, and iteratively
- Presenting course outcomes in a professional manner, verbally and visually through mediums such as mind-maps, info-graphics, and design models.
This course is an introduction to the principles of HCD, in which the emphasis is on understanding and applying a human-centred approach to the development of products, services and/or (interactive) systems. Human centred design (HCD) can be used to refer to a range of approaches that involve product users in the design process to better understand their goals and needs when creating new technologies. HCD activities bring together designers and users at several stages of the design process to collaboratively identify problems and to develop innovative solutions. The main principle here is that users are experts of their own experience, and thus, their input is essential in shaping technologies relevant for their goals and needs.|
For questions related to the organization and content of the course, please contact the instructor Robert-Jan den Haan firstname.lastname@example.org .