The students should:
- Know the main discourses that dominated sustainability and environmental politics.
- Understand the way people and organizations use language on sustainability and environmental issues.
- Recognize and identify different discourses in politics and policies.
- Distinguish different discourses as they relate to his/her field of study
- Apply discourse analysis in order to make sense of the diverse developments in politics and society regarding sustainability themes.
- Apply techniques such as scanning, surveying and skimming in order to improve reading efficiency.
- Evaluate the credibility and validity of presented arguments and storylines in terms of dominant discourses.
This course provides an introduction to the way people and organizations use language on environmental and sustainability issues. By doing so they construct a frame in order to give meaning to specific environmental and sustainability issues. A discourse is a ‘frame of reference’ on a particular matter. By a frame of reference, we mean the underlying way something is understood and explained. The course provides premaster students with basic knowledge and understanding by means of assignments.|
The course is meant as 5 EC course in the MEEM premaster program