- Recognize and identify the factors (including biases) that influence readers.
- Distinguish different discourses as they relate to his/her field of study
- Apply critical reading skills in order to recognize and identify the (undeclared) positions and (hidden) assumptions that lie beneath a text or a presentation of statistical information.
- Apply techniques such as scanning, surveying and skimming in order to improve reading efficiency.
- Evaluate the credibility and scientific validity of a piece of text in terms of the logic of the argument given and the solidity of the factual base.
This module prepares the students for reading assignments typical for the MEEM programme. It focuses upon being able to assess the purpose and the background of an article, a report or a book, being able to assess the author and the text for reputation and potential biases, to be open for potential assumptions and or beliefs/normative perspectives, to distinguish facts from opinions. Additionally, the module prepares students for the reading load of a Master’s program by building skills such as: scanning to locate specific information, surveying a text, using the title and other crucial text elements, and skimming a text. So efficient reading is as important.