After successful completion of SSI you will:
- Understand IoT concepts and applications, security threats, technical solutions, and a few relevant standardization efforts in the IETF
- Be able to analyze network traffic of IoT devices and create device profiles that describe this behavior
- Understand the operational business of DNS operators and the impact the IoT may have on them (industry perspective)
SSI also contributes to your skills to independently carry out research projects and to develop services and systems.
SSI provides you with an overview of current IoT security challenges and technical solutions to address them, for instance using profiles that describe the behavior of IoT devices, measurement systems, and security systems for home networks that automatically block outgoing DDoS traffic. SSI will test your ability to understand, apply, and modify a few of these solutions.|
SSI is a collaboration of the University of Twente and SIDN Labs (www.sidnlabs.nl), the research team of the operator of the Netherlands’ top-level domain, .nl. SIDN Labs’ goal is to increase the trustworthiness of the Internet, for instance through SPIN [SPIN], an open source security system that protects the Internet and end-users from compromised IoT devices.
The study material for SSI consists of (1) scientific papers and IETF RFCs and (2) a hands-on lab assignment to measure the behavior of IoT devices and describe it through a device profile.
The teacher from SIDN Labs is Dr Elmer Lastdrager.
- Overview of IoT concepts and applications
- IoT security threats
- Device description languages
- IoT and threat measurement systems
- Mitigation functions
- IoT standardization in the IETF
More information can be found here: https://courses.sidnlabs.nl/ssi/