At the end of the elective, you will be able to:
- understand, discuss, and apply the concepts and principles of representing data visually;
- understand how use and users should influence visualisation design decisions;
- critically analyze data visualizations regarding a range of aspects, and suggest improvements and/or design alternatives;
- develop creative and useful solutions for data visualisation;
- successfully create data visualisations with several tools, using various dissemination methods (static, dynamic) and environments (print, web).
The Data Visualisation elective is about putting your data in graphs & maps to discover patterns and communicate your findings.|
We will try to reach these learning goals, by learning (studying theory and examples), discussing (critically looking at existing work, finding strengths & weaknesses and developing alternatives) and also to a large extent doing (visualisation challenges using sketching, prototyping, digital drawing and/or programming, depending on your interests and skills). Each student will work on a small portfolio, with one final visualisation assignment as a “master proof”.
External students who are interested with this elective please contact firstname.lastname@example.org