After taking this course students are able to:
- apply advanced methodologies relevant for research problems in HFE
- know essential steps of using these methods
- discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these methods
- set up and use the required apparatus/software
- draw conclusions from these research methods
- communicate the results of the various methods
- critically reflect on research in HFE
- give a presentation on research in HFE
- write concise and intelligible reports on topics encountered in the different workshops
Connection to the work field
They will be introduced to several methodologies that are relevant for the work field, they will get to know the essential steps, the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods, and will get insight in research in this broad field and learn to critically reflect on this research.
The course Advanced Research Methods (ARM) introduces Master students of the specialization Human Factors and Engineering Psychology (HFE) to more advanced skills in research methodologies commonly employed in the field of Human Factors, Engineering Psychology, and Cognitive Psychology. These methods are related to different courses and modules offered in the Bachelor and Pre-Master curriculum such as Module 3, and Module 6 Human Factors and Engineering Psychology. By following the current course/workshops students will attain a higher level of knowledge that is relevant for both applied and fundamental research.|
The course ARM offers a broad range of methods and combines theory and practice. The students will acquire knowledge by studying the appropriate literature prior to the workshops. Furthermore, HFE students are advised to take part in all the workshops during which they get acquainted with the various methods. Students will additionally extend their knowledge by studying related literature. At the end of the course several assignments related to the different workshops have to be submitted, and after receiving feedback, the final versions of these assignments have to be resubmitted.