After passing the course, the student can:
- independently acquire experience in working with and employing a high-end CAD system
- define and delimit a feasible research project targeting an aspect or expertise area in PLM
- independently assimilate knowledge and skills in the selected topic in PLM
- convert the research outcome in a purposeful deliverable
The aim of this course is to acquire knowledge of - and hands-on experience with - a complex CAD/PLM system. In industrial contexts, such CAD systems are embedded in simulation or informationmanagement approaches; therefore, also exploring such approaches in relation to the product information in the CAD model is part of this course.|
For this course, Siemens NX will be used as the CAD software. Related to NX, many engineering tools are available (e.g. factory lay-out, ergonomics, manufacturability, strength analysis, ...); additionally, NX has specific characteristics as concerns communication and collaboration (Teamcenter). In this course, students and staff will conjointly explore the possibilities of Siemens NX and some of its related tools. This starts with basic tutorials, so, from scratch. In this specific case, the staff involved are no renowned experts in NX, nor in Teamcenter or the other engineering tools. Therefore, the course will be a collective pursuit to learn to purposefully work with NX, while simultaneously developing the ability to assess the working methods involved. In other words, the staff will be participants themselves, resulting in peer-learning rather than in sheer transmission of tips and tricks.
This approach has a number of advantages:
- the course will result in more than ‘learning to use the user interface’ of NX, as the approach will be based on discussing, attempting and exploring beyond merely following tutorials.
- depending on the interests among the participants, specific projects can be formulated to work on. With this, specific themes or products can be elaborated by sub-groups of participants. This can range from different modules in NX (e.g. sheet-metal, car design, assembly, surfaces, ...) to modelling or reverse engineering a specific product.
- depending on the interests among the participants, a number of specific tools in the PLM solution of Siemens can be addressed based on the product definition in NX by sub-groups of participants. Next to Teamcenter, e.g. ergonomic analysis can be a topic - to mention just one.