The final purpose of the graduation project is that the student shows to have obtained the competencies of a Systems & Control master. Especially during the graduation project, you have to show that you can:
- interpret a possibly general project proposal and translate it to more concrete research questions.
- find and study relevant literature, software, and hardware tools, and critically assess their merits.
- work in a systematic way and document your findings as you progress.
- work in correspondence with the level of the elective courses you have attended.
- perform original work that has sufficient depth to be relevant to the research in the chair.
- work independently and goal-oriented under the guidance of a supervisor.
- seek assistance within the research group or elsewhere, if required and beneficial for the project.
- benefit from the guidance of your supervisor by scheduling regular meetings, provide the supervisor with progress reports and initiate topics that will be discussed.
- organise your work by making a project plan, executing it, adjusting it when necessary, and handling unexpected developments.
- write a graduation-project report (thesis) that motivates your work for a general audience and communicates the work and its results in a clear, well-structured way to your peers.
- give a presentation with similar qualities to fellow students and members of the chair.
The graduation project is the final proof of the ability of the student to independently handle more complex problems within the area of Systems & Control, and to work as a “scientific engineer” on an advanced level. It is important to find a research group for your graduation project as soon as possible after the start of your master’s programme. With your mentor/supervisor you can discuss available subjects for your thesis research.|
You can only start your graduation project if you have completed all other study units of your programme, with the possible exception of 10 EC of course work.
See for more information the web pages dedicated to the graduation project: https://www.utwente.nl/en/sc/programme/Graduation-Project/.
Note that at https://www.utwente.nl/en/sc/Procedures%20and%20Forms/graduation_project/ the procedure for registration of the graduation project is described.