General course aim: Study / solve a specific problem or subject within the field of Design Engineering in order to either broaden the understanding of the Design Engineering domain in General. Or to specialize on a certain topic more in depth. An assignment will be supervised by one of the DPM staff members (and possibly even supplied).|
After the course, the student is able to:
• Give an in-depth description of a specific topic in the area of Design Engineering
• Independently understand and analyze a complex problem in the area of Design Engineering
• Analyse the problem / aspects of the specific topic
• Generate (alternative) solutions to the problem stated or create a clear overview of the important aspects from an academic perspective
• Evaluate solutions and select the best solution to the problem or evaluate the specific topic and the intrinsic relations with the other elements of the Design Engineering domain
• Report and present about the problem solving process or the studied subject from an academic perspective
This course covers individual learning assignments and activities within the field of specialization Design Engineering at the department of Design Production & Management. The course is not scheduled in the time tables of the programme. About the content and the study load, the student requires written approval (e-mail) of the supervisor beforehand.
The content is case specific. The answers to the research question may be found by literature study, by simple experiments, by (numerical) analysis and modeling or a combination of these.