Upon completion of this course, the student is able to:
- Understand and assess the major components of a business plan;
- Identify the pros and cons of different legal and other aspects facing venture enterprises;
- Identify and assess factors relevant for a (successful) venture;
- Assess the relevance and meaning of various sources of financing of new business ventures;
- Understand and apply venture valuation principles;
- Describe how a successful entrepreneur can harvest or exit the venture;
- Learn how to resolve financial distress situations.
The course provide students with the essential theories, knowledge and skills to adequately make financial decisions of entrepreneurial firms.
The starting up of new ventures as well as their growth toward maturity not only require financial and accounting knowledge &tools, but also lead to issues that are specific for new business ventures. This course therefore deals with various topics like defining enterprise opportunities, legal &organizational matters, preparing a business plan, assessing venture’s (financial) performance, valuing business ventures, structuring financing, exit &turnaround strategies.
Entrepreneurial process, Business plan, Venture financing, Venture valuation, Financial planning, Going public, Financial distress.
Assignment (40%); Written examination (60%). Contribution to the programme learning goals
The course provides theoretical and practical knowledge of management practices followed by successful entrepreneurs. It also helps students to learn financial management tools and techniques that are specifically used in new business ventures. Students are trained to collect and analyse financial information.
Knowledge integration with other courses
The subjects covered in this course are related with the knowledge gained from courses on accounting, finance and strategy.
Assumed previous knowledge |Required materials|
|BookLeach, J.C. and Melicher, R.W., Entrepreneurial Finance, 5th edition, 2015, Cengage Learning.|
|Course materialArticles on Blackboard|
|Course materialAnnual Reports of firms.|
|Exam & (group) assignment|