Acquiring work experience outside the UT, in the Netherlands or abroad, on the level of a trainee or a recently graduated engineer. The main objective is putting acquired knowledge and skills into practice while the experiences of applying and writing reports as well as working in expert teams play an important role too.|
At the end of the internship you are able to:
Note that the programme strongly advises Non-EU students not to go abroad but search for an internship position within the Netherlands. If a student decides to go abroad, the programma cannot be held responsible for any study delay caused by it.
- draw up your own learning goals for the internship period in a SMART way related to the scientific knowledge and skills of the mechanical engineering discipline.
- work on a mechanical engineering or sustainable energy problem or task in a professional manner and as part of a team of engineers in a corporate environment.
- behave professionally in the work situation, whereby professional behaviour is characterized by precision and a quality-conscious method of working, punctuality in relation to keeping to agreements, coping adequately with feedback, collegiality and appropriate social behaviour, using forms of communication and language appropriate to the situation and where necessary adjusting your own behaviour.
- apply the appropriate knowledge and skills you acquired during your masters program, as well as identify and acquire new knowledge and skills necessary for this problem or task.
- deal with problems and limitations of professional practice that do not occur in the academic environment of the university.
- report effectively, in a business-like manner, matching the clients’ needs.
- make an accurate planning/setup a timeline for a limited time period.
- work out a problem solution based on available input data and communicate with the client to fill the gaps in case of insufficient information.
- reflect on learning experiences undergone during the internship, and formulate consequences for future actions and further professionalization
For students Sustainable Energy Technology, an internship is an obligatory part of the master curriculum, scheduled in the second year just before the final master assignment. Before starting the internship the student will have to fulfil the requirements as set in the Education and Examination Regulations Master Sustainable Energy Technology.|
During the internship the student will have the opportunity to bring his/her theoretically skills into practice in a real professional engineering environment. This can be done in a production company as well as in a scientific institute. The trainee can participate into research, design, development or production activities. At the end of the internship period the student has to write a report about the work.
As soon as students start looking for an internship, they have to register at the Student Mobility Centre of de Faculty of ET, by filling in a registration form in Mobility Online (MO). After registering in MO, they will receive an e-mail with a link to enroll in the CANVAS site ‘Internship ME & SET’ where they can find all information about the internship procedure. Students interested in a Dutch company or institute are strongly advised to register about half a year before the trainee period; those interested in a training period abroad should register at least a year in advance. More information can be found on the website: http://www.utwente.nl/en/me/master_programme/student_mobility
Note that within one month after the end of the internship, all required documents, as stated on the CANVAS site ‘Internship ME & SET’ should be submitted to the Student Mobility Centre.