After passing the course, the student can:
- Understand the role of information in the various cycles of a product (development/ engineering/ use/eol/supply chain) and the dependiecies between product, decisions and information
- Establish the strengths and weaknesses of an existing information management solution/strategy wihtin a company from different perspectives.
- Develop an information management solution/strategy for a specific situation focusing on deicsion support for and between different types of stakeholders
- Evaluate critical part(s) of the proposed solution using proof-of-concepts/ demonstrators/ minimum viable setups.
- Understands the business context and adjecent disciplines in which product development and industrial design engineers function
Product Life Cycle Management (PLM) focuses on the management of data, information, knowledge and experience (henceforth mentioned as “information”) that underlies product development life cycles. The aim of the course is to introduce participants to a selection of PLM related approaches, rendering some assistance to independently explore and analyse the needs of stakeholders, while additionally allowing them to develop and underpin a new/improved PLM approach/strategy.|
PLM is a research-based course which is delivered through lectures and interactive workshops that are encouraging discussion. The course lets its participants focus on real-life case studies in cooperation with industry as well as explore their own interests and allows them to learn more about both the real product development industry and the industry/academic career potential that an industrial designer could acquire. In order to satisfy the learning goals, the participants execute a group assignment (in cooperation with industry) in which the above mentioned topics are included