After passing the course, the student can:
- Interpret and apply the basics of an LCA
- Interpret & explain Impact Assessment Methods
- Apply the LCA theory to a different engineering domain
- Develop an I.A.M. on a different subject than environment
- Perform a basic LCA for product comparison
- communicate / discuss with engineers & specialists on LCA related subjects
Due to the corona situation, it could be that the lectures & practicals will be online. The individual LCA exam and the final presentation & discussion session at the end of the course will be On Campus.|
The general theory of Life Cycle Assessment is presented and discussed during the lectures. A 'back-to-front' approach in the lectures is used, starting with the desired results of an LCA and than step by step going back toward the first step (what is needed to achieve those desired results). After the lectures the different steps and their content should be clear and also the reason behind the order of those steps. The understanding of general theory is tested by an individual written test.
The assessment of a product lifecycle is focused mainly on methodology applied to the environment, weight, cost, logistics, aesthetics, etc. Many environmental impact assessment methods already exist to be used in an lifecycle assessment of a product. The mechanisms of these methods are presented during the lectures.
In groups a new impact assessment method (IAM) is developed to be implemented within the general theory of LCA. The method will be aimed at a specific topic, one as mentioned above. By developing their own IAM students deepen their understanding of the mechanisms, but also the strengths and weaknesses of LCA -methods and the use of IAM's.
In general the course consist of;
- lectures with exercises & presentations
- software practical (Mandatory)
- theory test
- group assignment (2 parts: Volume 1- developing an IAM and Volume 2- perform an LCA on a Product using a default IAM & the developed IAM)
- final discussion on results and exchange of ideas between the teams