After successfully completing the Research Topics, the student is able to independently:
- Delineate and formulate a suitable subject within the chosen CS specialization for a Final Project, typically starting from an initial rough outline
- Formulate a relevant and specific problem statement
- Study recent scientific developments relevant to the problem statement, through literature research
- Propose a research method for the problem statement
- Optionally, create an initial solution or prototype
- Formulate a clear and realistic work plan
Research Topics is a course unit for an individual student. It is intended as a preparation for the Final Project. Main objectives are further deepening the student’s understanding of the chosen specialisation within the Master, and further development of the student's research competencies. Research Topics typically entails an initial literature study and aims at the statement of a clear research or design question and planning for the Final Project.
For a student to start the Research Topics, the following conditions should be satisfied:
- The student has an individual study programme, approved by the programme mentor, of which at least 70 EC have already been achieved. Exceptions to the 70 EC rule can be granted by the Programme Mentor.
- A supervisor and examiner for the Research Topics have been identified, from a research group that is involved in the chosen specialisation. (These roles will often be played by the same person.). A list with all examiners can be found on Canvas after registering for this course.
- An initial description of the subject of the Research Topics has been agreed upon with supervisor and examiner.
When the Research Topics starts or as soon as possible thereafter, the student should register this through the Mobility Online system.
Further information about Research Topics and Final Project is provided on the website of the study programme (see https://www.utwente.nl/en/csc/programme/final-project/
) and on Canvas. A list with all examiners/supervisors can be found on Canvas.