After having completed the course, the student is able to:
Formulate a design assignment as an optimization problem.
Classify an optimization problem by its type of parameters, objective function and constraints.
Choose appropriate mathematical solution algorithms for specific optimization problems.
Use an optimization software toolbox to solve optimization problems.
Course description: |
This course deals with methods for systematic mathematical optimization of structures and systems.
- Design optimization, design variables, objective function, constraints.
- Unconstrained optimization, conjugated gradients, Newton’s method, line search.
- Constrained optimization, Lagrange multipliers, sensitivity of the optimum.
- Mathematical tools, linear programming, non-linear programming.
- Design Sensitivity of linear problems, eigenvalue problems and time response.
- Model approximation, response surface, regression and fitting.
- Multilevel optimization.
- Topological optimization.