General course aim: gain knowledge on a specific topic by an assessment given by one of the lecturers or a problem addressed by the student itself. The aforementioned topic is related to “Surface Technology and Tribology”, “Surface engineering and Maintenance”, “Skin Tribology” or “Tribology Based Maintenance”. The student learns with the supervision of one of the lecturers to understand, analyze and solve the problem.
After the course, the student is able to …
- Give an in-depth description of a specific topic in the area of Surface Technology &Tribology
- Independently analyse a complex problem in the area of Surface Technology &Tribology
- Generate alternative solutions to the problem stated
- Evaluate solutions and select the best solution to the problem
- Report and present about the problem solving process
This course covers individual learning assignments and activities within the field of specialization (“Surface Technology and Tribology”, “Surface engineering and Maintenance”, “Skin Tribology” or “Tribology Based Maintenance”). The course is not scheduled in the time tables of the programme. About the content and the study load, the student requires written approval (e-mail) of the supervisor on beforehand.
Aim: to obtain in-depth knowledge of a specialized subject in the aforementioned areas. The final purpose is that the student is able to explore alternatives and answers to a specific research question and to discuss their validity, limitations and/or relevance for application.
The content is case specific. The answers to the research question may be found by literature study, by simple experiments, by (numerical) analysis and modelling or a combination of these.