After the course the student is able to
- Explain / describe the basics of the most common degradation techniques such as wear and corrosion, which are often important reasons to apply surface treatments and coating techniques.
- Describe in general terms the main characteristics of the most important surface treatments and coating techniques which are available to ‘engineer’ a surface.
- Thoroughly explain basic principles behind modern processes coating processes as Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD), Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD), electroplating and ion implantation. Basic principles that will be discussed are vacuum technology, evaporation, sputtering and ionized gases.
- Describe in general terms the most important experimental techniques which are available to characterize surface layers and coatings.
- Explain the possibilities and limitations of the most important surface treatments and coating techniques for specific applications and their relation to product design.
- Describe new surface treatments and coating techniques, models or experiments which can be found in scientific literature
Surface technology gives an overview of surface treatments and coating techniques which are available to 'engineer' a surface, so to give desired properties to a surface. Examples of desired properties of a surface which can be obtained by surface technology are wear resistance, thermal isolation and corrosion protection. Besides this, decorative purposes can also be a reason to apply surface treatments and coatings. The largest part of 'Surface Technology' deals with basic principles and possibilities versus limitations of coating processes and surface treatments. The emphasis lies on modern processes like Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD), Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) and electroplating. Examples of basic principles that will be discussed are vacuum technology, evaporation, sputtering and basics of ionized gases. Besides this, attention will be paid to coating materials, failure mechanisms, characterization of coatings and selection of surface treatments and coatings.
The main goal is to gain understanding in the basic principles and the application issues of modern surface treatments and coating techniques.